Images arranged according to date taken, from 1902 through 1986. A few of these images are not technically aerials, but views from the top of Neahkahnie. It seemed right to include them with trua aerials.
Taken 1902 by Theodore Kiser. Cleared land reflects the fact that settlers had grazed sheep and cattle on the mountain since the 1860s.
Taken 1946. Work has begun on a road in front of Classic Ridge connecting Neahkahnie with Manzanita.
Taken 1960 for Crown Zellerbach Corporation.
Taken about 1980 by Paul Rouse.
Taken 1909 by Benjamin Gifford, Oregon's leading landscape photographer of the early 20th century. Sam Reed, the developer of Neahkahnie, used Gifford photos for advertizing the new resort.
Taken 1950 by Boersig aerial studios. With the last sheep taken off the mountain in 1942, trees start to grow.
Taken 1965 for Crown Zellerbach Corporation.
Taken about 1980 by Paul Rouse, editor of the Fishwrapper newspaper. Rouse drew the lot lines on the east side of Highway 101.
Taken early 1930s by Brubaker aerial studios. Sand now covers rocks on the beach so visible in the 1902 photo (first in this series). Jetties built at the end of the spit between 1912 and 1918 caused sand to accrete on the beach.
Newahkahnie Mountain as seen in 1950 by Boersig aerial stuidos.
Taken 1970 for Crown Zellerbach Corporation.
Taken 1986 for Tillamook County Planning Department.
Taken early 1930s by Brubaker aerial studios. The south side of Neahkahnie has few trees.
Taken 1953 for Crown Zellerbach Corporation. Outlines of a golf course (now Neahkahnie Meadow development) have begun to appear.
Taken 1975 for Oregon Departments of Parks and Recreation.
Taken late 1930s by Brubaker aerial studios. Rocks on the beach have reappeared due to decreted level of sand resulting from detereoration of the jetties.
Taken 1960 for Crown Zellerbach Corporation. Neahkahnie Tavern at the end of Nehalem Road is gone -- burned in 1956.