The U S Coast Survey map from 1895 shows the Nehalem spit and bar before construction of the jetties. Variations in river flows made the channel from the bay into the ocean move north to south over 3 or 4 years, then back north again in just one season.
Work on the north jetty began in 1914.
Contractors repaired the jetties with rock brought by truck, not by rail as with original construction.
The sign posted as part of dedicating the refurbished jetties gives credit to agencies and people involved.
Locals began asking the U S Corps of Engineers to build jetties in 1876. After forming the Port of Nehalem in 1909, locals promised to pay half the cost of jetties if the federal government would pay the other half.
Both jetties were finished by 1918. By the 1930s, the time of this photo, both jetties showed signs of serious deterioration. This photo also show sand accumulating behind the south jetty, forming land that became Nedonna Beach.
Low tide exposed the worn surfaces of the north jetty.
Drawings by the U S Army Corps of Engineers showed locations and hydological benefits of the jetties.
Photos from 1953 show both jetties often covered in water. In addition, the original jetties increased accululation of sand on the beaches. The shoreline had moved west, effectively shortening the extent of the jetties into the ocean.
Refurbishing jetties extended both jetties 400 feet farther into the ocean.
Construction on the south jetty began in 1912.
Repair involved raising both jetties several feet and lengthening them to seaward. The north jetty was also brought around to the bay side of the spit. This image from 1978 shows the north jetty in 1978, four years before repair.
Repair work began on the north jetty.
Construction required tons of rock brought from a quarry along the Miami River.
But it wasn't until 1980 that the Corps committed to repairs and improvements.
Work in the 1980s involved machines hardly imagined in the 1910s.